Just when you thought chivalry was dead, Eva and I witnessed not one, but TWO acts of kindness. Those of you living in east central Illinois with us have been enjoying a lot of rain lately, and being without a kitchen as we are, Eva and I have not let that stop us from getting out-to-eat and about. So, two days ago we were leaving BW3's in a torrential downpour, and a nice man walking in with an umbrella turned around and walked us out to our car and held the umbrella while I strapped Eva in. John had pulled up, but it was still about 15 feet to the car. What a nice surprise! Then, last night we were leaving Boston's (again in the rain) and as John was holding the door for us, another nice man walked up and offered us his umbrella to get out to the car. This time it was only a light drizzle, so we let him keep his umbrella, but still - how nice! It could just be that Eva has that effect on men - God help us if that's the case.
And as long as we are talking about good men . . . John is going gangbusters on the kitchen. Almost exactly 2 months after we began demo we have all the walls primed, the ceiling painted, and the sub floor down. John would argue with my use of the pronoun "we" in the last sentence, but I made my contribution in my own way (with unsolicited advice and FREE childcare!). It is coming along nicely, and we have picked out furniture, so now all we have left are counter tops and then we will be done with the hard part - buying stuff! John has done a beautiful job, and I don't think anyone will argue that a professional could have done it better (maybe faster, but not better). I can't wait to bake in my new oven, and cook on my new stove, and then load all my dirty dishes into my new dishwasher! It is going to be fabulous. I will post pictures later - my hijacked internet isn't cooperating tonight.
Winter Update!
8 years ago

2 comments:
There are many versions of 'we' in the English language. Most can be distilled down to the following:
the 'ME' we; the 'YOU' we; and the 'WE' we.
It's simply a matter of context. One can clearly decipher from your statement here that whilst the 'YOU' we is in abundance, there are certainly elements of the 'WE we and 'ME' we from a referential standpoint.
James is also an abuser of the 'YOU' we - as in "we need to send out an email about my gigs" or "we need to book some gigs". He has also been known to use the rarely heard "YOU" I - as in "I need to confirm that Eric is going to pick me up from the airport in 24 hours" when the true meaning is "hopefully you have organised this for me".
That is hilarious - I think you should be a writer... and as for the "you" I - I don't think I have ever heard a woman use it. . .
Post a Comment