OK, this may be a bit premature, but I believe that Eva is 87.4% potty-trained. We are now on day 9 without a pee accident, and she woke up this morning with a dry diaper, so we'll soon be ditching diapers at night, too. I'll spare you the day-by-day breakdown (enthralling though it is!), but basically, we started June 1 and here we are, only a little over 2 weeks later and she comes to tell me when she needs to sit on the potty! Yes! I'd like to say I had a lot to do with this, but let's remember that I tried to start back in December and failed miserably. She even wore her "sweeming suit" outside today and didn't have an accident in it. I am so proud of her and how quickly she got it this time - it has been a dream. Here are the keys to our success:
97% raw luck
2% presents from Target dollar bin and garage sale pile (for rewards)
1% book about potty-training featuring Ernie**
**I have bought 2 different books about potty-training and read them hundreds of time to Eva. At the beginning of June my sister-in-law brought us some toys and books, and one of them was this book about Ernie and potty-training. It has 1 sentence on each page, and is 5 pages long. Eva loves it. We wash our hands with "sudsy soap like 'O-nee'" and get toilet paper but "doan use too much 'O-nee'." I'm pretty sure this book is about 8 years old, from when my nephew John was potty-trained. Just goes to show you don't need fancy psycho-babble books - at least not if you're at a 2-year-old reading level.
At any rate, I believe that the "readiness" factor is as important from the trainer's point-of-view as it is from the trainee's. I certainly felt a lot better about this second go-around, and look how great it turned out!
Winter Update!
8 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment