About Me

My photo
Illinois, United States
Being Eva and Daniel's mom is awesome - They are what I never knew I always wanted (to paraphrase a character from "Fools Rush In").

Friday, May 13, 2011

Hot tip!

Warning: This is a venting post. I may offend some of my readers who don't vaccinate their children, themselves, their pets, etc. That being said, may I just add that by me choosing to go ahead and get said vaccines for myself and my kids, I in no way endanger the health and well-being of you and yours. Getting vaccines does not force my ideals onto you, or make you feel uncomfortable with your choices. On the other hand, if say, one does choose not to get one's children vaccinated, and then brings the unvaccinated child who, by the by, has blisters that look a lot like chicken pox to my house, therefore exposing my kids and my nephews, well, I feel a little put-upon, like you've taken your choices and infected (literally) my family with them. My poor little Henry, Daniel's "bee-bee" (this is what Daniel says repeatedly each time he sees, hears someone talk about, or otherwise thinks of, Henry) who is not vaccinated yet because he's too little, has been exposed to chicken pox. Can you tell I'm a little upset? And, it's not like a transient, unavoidable exposure at the playground that could never be prevented. This was an hours long play-date with time in the pool, time spent playing inside, laying on my couch, touching all my kids' stuff. Ugh - I can hardly bear thinking about it. All the other kids have been vaccinated, so if they do get it, it should be a much milder version. Better be, is all I can say.
I really don't begrudge people their own child-rearing techniques, different though they may be from mine. But, once your right to raise your children your way interferes with the health of my kids (Eli & Henry included), I get really offended. So, consider yourself warned - you can bring your kids' all-vegan lunches, and I won't say a word, but if your kid has the whooping cough because you are waiting to vaccinate (waiting for . . . whatever) then don't come over.

Ahh...I feel better. Now, if we can only get through the next 14-16 days with no kids getting spotty, I will really breathe a sign of relief.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yikes! I am feeling your pain! That is terrible. I will pray for sweet little Henry....and everyone else....that there is NO chicken pox!
Can't wait to see you guys!
Jen

SkyeF said...

Amen sister.