About Me

My photo
Illinois, United States
Being Eva and Daniel's mom is awesome - They are what I never knew I always wanted (to paraphrase a character from "Fools Rush In").

Sunday, November 8, 2009

The first 2 weeks with the second child

Ah, yes, we have officially begun life as a 4-person family, having sent Grandma home after 2 glorious weeks of help. I would not be able to blog tonight if she hadn't watched Daniel for me on nights when he was a little restless. But, on to the memories . . .

Things I want to remember about our first 2 weeks:

1) Seeing him for the first time, and getting to hear his bath in the OR and look over and see him in the warmer while they sewed me up - I'm still a HUGE fan of c-sections, especially with my sister as my nurse!

2) Coming home - there's no place like it, especially when a little girl is waiting with big hugs and sweet kisses for her mama and new baby brother.

3) Welcoming our visitors: everyone commented on how darn cute this little guy is. I couldn't agree more - and from the looks of Eva, he'll only get cuter!

4) Watching Eva with her brother - she loves to kiss him and point out all his body parts. She is very helpful about bringing me his pacifier and keeps a close eye on him when he's crying.

5) Only 2 somewhat sleepless nights in the first 2 weeks - go Daniel!

6) Eva saying "night, night" tonight because she was ready for bed. I was feeding Daniel, so John got up to go down and make her bed, and she gave me a kiss, hopped off the couch, and carried her 2 blankets down the hall to bed. I hope Daniel continues to follow her example when it comes to sleeping!

7) Going to the park almost every day this past week - Indian summer came late, but at least it's here!

8) Important firsts - first meal out for Daniel - at the Original, of course!

9) Helpful, helpful, helpful family: without them, both John and I would be a lot more tired and a lot less happy!

10) Holding my kids on my lap - what more do I need to say?

It's been a great first 2 weeks. In so many ways, Daniel is like Eva when she was a baby - he has those same big eyes when he is awake, he makes the same scary breathing noise, he likes being swaddled with his arms out so he can throw them over his head while he sleeps, and he is a champion nurser just like her. But, he has his own personality, too - he is a loud sleeper - always grunting and making little noises, and he has the best hair I have ever seen on a baby. No mullet for him! Having the second baby is so much easier than the first - you already know you've been able to keep one kid relatively safe and healthy for almost 2 years, so you're pretty sure you can do that again. The anxiety level is much lower this time around.

I have a video of him, but the internet is too slow to load it, so I'll leave you with pictures of our Bear's fan and her baby brother!




1 comment:

Roz said...

CONGRATULATIONS!
He is striking! (and so is that little C Bears girl!)