. . . but I had to wake Eva up today - she was still sleeping at 9:45 and it had been over 12 hours!! And she wasn't even starting her usual morning wake-up routine - no talking, no giggling, no rustling around in her crib. I was actually getting worried, because she had been fussy the evening before. Anyway, she was her usual cheery self when I went in, just with red, puffy eyes from sleeping - poor baby! She appeared to be none the worse for wear today, and took good naps and had a great time at the water park with her cousins, John D., Peter, Jacob and Kate, who are down from Chicago with their mom, (John's sister) Ann. She went around in the lazy river about 5 times, and then came to the "deep end" (it's 3 feet 6 inches deep) so that John (age 8) and Peter (age 6) could swim underwater through my legs. That is one of their favorite things to do in the pool. We didn't spend much time in the baby pool because it was approximately the same temperature as urine (and probably, all swim diapers considered, at least 10% urine in reality). Eva is getting so good at sitting up - she could even keep her balance in water up to her chest. She loved watching her cousins play, and by the end of the afternoon she was grinning from ear to ear anytime she saw one of them.
On the food front, today we started peas, which went extremely well! While she's no Eli, hoovering food in faster than a mom can shovel, she actually ate all of the peas I fixed (about 1/3 of a stage 1 container, mixed with cereal). And the only peas that ended up on her bib where the ones that she carefully wiped off her lips while using her bib as a "blankie" while sucking her thumb. So, Eva's current food preferences are as follows:
More favorite: Breastmilk\
Favorite: Peas
Not disgusting: Plain Cereal
Palatable: Squash and Sweet Potatoes
Gross (and possibly poisonous): Green Beans
We videotaped her eating the green beans, which has by far been the most entertaining food to give her - the coughing, gagging, and tearing up are all rather dramatic. We'll try re-introducing those at a later date, and see if she handles them with a little less theatrics.
Anyway, I guess she can't be a good eater and a good sleeper, so I'll just count my blessings (and my continuous hours of sleep at night). If I knew what I was doing, or thought that my parenting actually had anything to do with her sleeping patterns, I would definitely share it with everyone. However, I think she just naturally sleeps a lot. Apparently, that was how I was as a child. If anyone knows a geneticist who needs a project (such as isolating the sleeps-12-hours-at-night-by-2-months gene), I will happily donate my DNA!
Winter Update!
8 years ago

3 comments:
Great blog! I think you are a natuarally funny writer, and even though I had already heard all about your day yesterday I laughed through reading it!
Thanks - It's good to know that I can count on you and Roz to laugh at all my jokes . . . and then I found $20. Hee hee!
I actually know a couple of geneticists...
Post a Comment